Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The 33 1/3 Series: Bloomsbury Press Taking Submissions Soon

A number of years ago, I picked up a number of titles from Continuum Press's 33 1/3 series.  Similar to BFI's Film Classics series, 33 1/3 consists of monographs focusing on one album of the author's selection.  While most of the early publications were from the so-called Classic Rock era -- Hendrix's Electric Ladyland, James Brown's Live at the Apollo, the Stones' Exile on Main Street -- more than a few come from the postpunk era, too -- OK Computer, Illmatic.  Bloomsbury acquired the series about two years ago, and the entire catalog will be re-branded beginning this year.  And just a few days ago, Bloomsbury announced its call for submissions to produce a new title for the series.

So now it's time to get serious.  Later on, I'll post an essay proposing one album that I'm pretty sure Bloomsbury won't take, but I think it's worth flexing the muscles, writing my passions and then tempering them with some critical edging.   Frankly, I'm not going to post here about the album I really do plan to propose; wouldn't want to jinx things, even for a long shot like this anyway.  Much to do, much to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment