Thursday, January 10, 2013

From the Archives: A Music Index Entry from a Never-Finished Index

About seven years ago, I began writing entries for a music Index I thought I might publish as a blog.  I shared some of these, but they've been long out of circulation.   The original drafts are on a computer I never use, but something made me start searching for them, and well, here's a short one I always liked.  Not especially passionate, but modestly amusing nonetheless. Maybe I'll toss out some more, if I can find the power cord for that old computer...

MUSIC INDEX ENTRY: Tommy Tutone

Don't deny it. You did it.  If you are a guy, my age, you did it.  You picked up the phone and you dialed it. 
You know the number.  Just admit it.  Right now, it's in your head.  It won't go away.

867-5309.

You dialed it.  And unless someone told you to fuck off first, you asked for her.  Her name was Jenny.

And every girl I went to high school with who had that appellation wanted to hide for months in the autumn of 1981. 

The song went to the top.  In spite of -- perhaps because of -- this amazingly laughable couplet:

I got it, I got your number on the wall
I got it, "for a good time call!"

They did have an earlier top forty hit, from the first record. I remember hearing it and liking it: "Angel Say No."  The first two albums are not all that bad and are still available on one CD collection from the late nineties (the original LPs are long gone).  There was no guy named Tommy Tutone.  Tommy Heath was the lead singer, Jim Keller the guitarist, they founded the band.  But you don't care about any of this.

You want to talk to Jenny.  

PERVERT!

No comments:

Post a Comment