Saturday, November 24, 2012

Memory Jump Start

Had to jump-start my wife's car, then drove it around for a while to charge it.  Eventually, I brought it to the service station where we had the battery replaced just a little while ago, and they tested the battery, and it was fine.  Before I got to the station, I took a drive along the highway, just really driving a couple exits, getting off, and getting back on and going home again.  

Driving along the water reminded me of the many rides I took with my children, mainly in an effort to help them take a nap .   My youngest especially always had trouble unless she was either nursing or on wheels.   (In bad weather I took to strolling her to sleep, around the living room table, on nights when my wife was working.)   Sometimes it seemed to take forever to get them to conk out.   More than once I'd exit the highway, only to hear them cry at a nearby traffic light.   I'd sometimes tell a story, or sing a song, or play something on the radio. 

This trip was quiet, and solitary.  Just me listening to the car's engine and watching for the police -- I found a car just beyond a curve, waiting to trap someone for speeding.  Good thing I'd got a glimpse early enough to make sure I was at the speed limit.  

My children are 12 and 9 now.   The rides we take are always boisterous, except late at night, from a party or a busy day trip.   Of course I'd rather they not fall asleep on the way home, since there's no way I can carry them anymore.   How small they once were, so soft to hold and gently put to bed after they fell asleep in the car.  

No comments:

Post a Comment