Sunday, August 4, 2013

Keeping the campus secure...?

So, where I'm teaching this summer, the Office of Security has implemented a new procedure:  all of the classrooms are locked and can only be unlocked by someone with a faculty I.D. (No, I have not checked out if I can open up any other classroom besides mine, but I assume so, since setting up this thing any other way would be a pretty arduous task.)  I kept wondering why they are doing this.  In the classrooms where there is AV equipment, that equipment is locked up either in a cabinet or a full-sized closet, and the video projectors are bolted and locked securely into the ceiling.  (When one of the new buildings first opened up, three projectors were stolen in a week!)  It's not like furniture is going to be taken; who wants a classroom chair and desk?

Then it dawned on me.  Virginia Tech and other campus shootings. 

I suppose the theory is that a would-be-rampaging assassin won't bother wasting bullets trying to shoot through a locked door.  But of course, if you were running away from such a madman and wanted to hide in a classroom and could not actually get inside...

The truth of the matter is that this situation is particularly annoying for those of us who teach film classes.  We have to keep our doors closed so that the sound from our classrooms does not bother neighbors.  This makes it inconvenient for latecomers, who have to be let into the room.  Of course, this kind of dictatorial control is something I loved having ages ago, when my office key also locked all the classrooms in a specific campus building, because back then I really really hated latecomers.  But I'm a bit mellower now, and even for me this is frustrating.  Also, because I do have to monitor sound, in one of my classrooms I have to stand near the soundboard, and that is close to the sensor that sets off the door lock, and it makes an annoying clicking noise. 

This is hardly a matter of a few inconveniences for the matter of safety, since I'm not really sure if safety is the issue here.  Students don't like this set up either because it means they have to wait for their instructor to let them into the classroom, unless someone has left the door open.  (Easy to do for some doors, not so easy for others. We will see a lot of bent plastic garbage pails propping open doors in the coming months.)   I wonder if the convenience is for Security, who will no longer have to walk around campus locking and unlocking doors.  But if the system can lock all the doors at a remote location, then can't it unlock  those doors, too? And wouldn't it make sense for security then to lock all the doors at night?  I mean, after all, don't they have to go around to make sure everyone has left most of the buildings with classrooms anyway?  Or is that responsibility now going to the faculty, who must make sure that there are no sleeping students left in their classrooms? 

It's no accident that this system was implemented in the summer, when there are fewer faculty and students around.  Betcha this does not last into the fall term.

No comments:

Post a Comment